Tuesday, October 13, 2009
update from Costa Rica
A brief update on things here in Costa Rica.
1. Staying at my host's place, a prof here called Jorge Cortes. He has a nice house with a swimming pool and sauna - needless to say I am relaxing when not working. No internet at his place, so only when I am in the lab here at CIMAR.
2. Went to the Caribbean coast from the 8th to 11th, stayed at a place called Cahuita - check GoogleEarth. Very nice place, great food (great food everywhere here!), but no diving as there were waves. So did some snorkeling, very bad visibility, but got 16 specimens. Not bad considering the conditions.
3. Went to the Volcan Poas today, hiked around at 2700 m. Cool and cloudy, it is a cloud forest. Was very nice for a change.
4. Talk tomorrow at the Universidad de Costa Rica, even announced in the paper! I hope many people come.
5. There are animals everywhere here, I have seen: monkeys, raccoons, sloths, iguanas, frogs, butterflies, and of course zoanthids.
Anyway, some work now, then souvenir shopping. Talk tomorrow, and then museum work Wednesday, and leave Thursday. Hope everyone is genki.